In May 2011 Twitter bought tweetdeck for £25m, and now the latest tweetdeck has a major now look and feel and a change to some functionality. Some functions from the old tweetdeck have gone, but some new ones added. Here is a summary of a few of the main changes.
Look and Feel
- The first thing you will notice is the colour, no longer yellow now twitter blue.
- The settings page is much less and each column now has its own settings, easier to use for notifications etc.
- A New @Me column that puts all messages from all your accounts into one
- Inbox all direct messages now into one column too
- No options hidden under the users image, but now more visible.
- URL shortening no longer appears until you send your tweet.
- The view of the account profiles are much neater.
Functionality which has gone.
- The ability to add a user to a list – this is a real shame, you now have to go to twitter.com to maintain your list.
- No longer able to delete a tweet you sent my mistake.
- Linkedin has now gone, you cannot connect to your linkedin account.
- The new @Me and inbox columns takes a bit to get use to but good.
- The direct message send give you the ability to search your followers for their id, was so lacking this before.
- The ability to send status updates to all your facebook business pages.
- Clicking more, on any user gives a column of messages from and to that user.
- There is also a web based version web.tweetdeck.com, which looks just like the downloaded app, so great if you dont have your own computer with you.
Over all I think the new version is better, but it does take a bit of getting used to, and it is a massive shame the lost of some impotant functions, the adding to list I find very odd why it has gone.
If I have got any of my facts wrong please comment and correct me, but these are my thoughts after using it for a while now.