From King’s Community Church Norwich. This was a series of 4 preaches.
Goff Hope – 12.1.2014. Listen
Hearing from God, is about having an ongoing relationship with Him. Adam and Eve walked with God, God spoke to Moses face to face, and God promises to dwell among my people.
- To Hear God’s voice you need to follow Jesus
- Jesus will not be your fixer but he will be your saviour and friend.
- Casual listeners of Jesus generally misunderstand, they still do !
- Wrong information and knowledge about God will blog your ears.
i.e God doesn’t care. Hebrews 11.6
How do we hear God.
- By staying close
- By taking time to listen
- Through his word.
- Through Prophecy
- His Voice (often a still small voice).
- Strong Impression
- Audible voice
- Gentle wishper
Marcus Tutt 19.1.14 Listen
Talking to God. Luke 11v1-4, Jesus teaches his disciples how to pray, the Lord’s prayer.
- Talk to our loving heavenly Father
- He is a good Father, he has good plans for us.
- He provides and protects his children.
- He take get pleasure in them
- Jer 3v19
Hallowed be your Name
- He is holy – set apart
- Put God first in our lives and worship Him.
- We are speaking to the Creator of the world
- Approach with Awe
- Only possible through His death on the cross.
Your Kingdom come
- May things be inline with His will – His plans and purposes.
- Aligning our self with His will
- Releasing God’s power to change the world.
- Pray how God’s kingdom can be extended.
Give us our daily bread
- Ask for what we need today
- Our reliance on God
- Grace, Finance, Health – Healing, Comfort, Guidance, Wisdom, Joy.
Jesus is the Bread of life
Forgive us our Sins
- Confess our sin and enjoy His forgiveness
- Works out in relationship
- Enjoying fresh mercy
- Reminds us of the price Christ paid.
For we Ourselves forgive everyone
- Make sure we have forgiven other people
Lead us not into temptation
- Ask for His help in not making foolish choices
- I know my weakness – Help me
- I know how powerful sin is
- I know the results of sin.
Toby Skipper 26.1.2014 Listen
If all we do is Hear and Talk we foul our selves.
We are all building our lives
- What we are going to Do/Think/Spend etc
We all build on something
- Our purposes / our values / thoughts
We all experience storms in our lives, judgement will be the ultimate storm and test.
Jesus is the ultimate rock, as we understand what he has done for us.
How do we Build on Jesus’ words ?
- Come to Jesus
- Hear what he says
- Do it
If you take love out of relationship it becomes a dictatorship
Love God with all our heart – love others as our self. Doing the ultimate “Do” will stop us doing the damaging “Dos”
You will not change your life until you change something daily
Goff Hope 2.2.14 Listen
Sharing is not natural, when people give we are moved.
We were made to give, not to be selfish, we were made in the image of God, the greatest giver of all.
How Do I become a sharer / what should I share ?
We like sheep have gone astray (sin), God continues to be the great giver.
The difference between the sparing giver and the bountiful giver is their relationship with God. John Piper.
We become a sharer by understanding
What God is like
- Jesus chose you
- You didn’t chose me but I chose you
- He died for you.
- He chose you to bear fruit
- If you abide in the vine – fruit naturally comes.
What is the fruit we are called to bear
- Love for people
- Desire for the lost to find Jesus
Acts of kindness, hospitality, generosity etc.
How are we to bear fruit
- Abide in Me – “Make your home in me” The Message
- Continuous dependence on God
- Wrecked by the love of God and live in it
Words abide – Hearing
Ask anything – Asking
v9 – Abide in my love – “Keep yourself in the love of God”
Amy Carmichael – “Keep Close – walk with him”